About Barbara MacKay
“I love to guide groups. When I walk into a roomful of people called together for a special purpose, I am in awe of the “brain-power” in the room. I love the richness and uniqueness of every group with whom I work. I enjoy working with all types of organizations, helping them become focused on their mission and working collaboratively together. And, because of my roots, I will always have a special place in my heart to help organizations serving women, youth and minorities and/or working on global environmental issues.”
– Barbara MacKay, Founder of North Star Facilitators
Bachelor of Science (Environmental Conservation), McGill University, Canada (1978); Master of Science Resource Management – University of Canterbury, New Zealand (1981). Bilingual: English/French; some Spanish.
Adult Learning & Facilitation Credentials:
- Certified Professional Facilitator© (CPF) and facilitator-assessor with the International Association of Facilitators (IAF) and the Institute of Cultural Affairs (ICA) – the only two global organizations who offer facilitator certification
- Trained extensively in: cross-cultural communication and alliance building; understanding and working to reduce the impact of oppression in our society (with Luna Jiménez Seminars and Associates, www.lunajimenezseminars.com)
- Adjunct professor for Portland State University (Winter 2005 and 2006) and University of Oregon (2009 and 2010) – Master’s level programs teaching facilitation skills
- Associate Facilitator and USA and Canada trainer with the Institute of Cultural Affairs (ICA)
- Professional Development Strategic Initiative Co-ordinator for the IAF (in charge of certifying facilitators and accrediting training agencies worldwide) (2003-2007)
- Certified accelerated learning Train the Trainer
- Preferred management trainer for Oregon Linn Benton Community college and the Canadian Federal government
- Developed and delivered Oregon’s only monthly and quarterly “Facilitator Cafes” for the last 6 years.
- Accomplished Toastmaster (ATM) – active in Toastmasters for over 10 years; active in Toastmasters evaluation club (Feedbackers)
- Extensive Training in the Following Techniques:
- Non-Violent Communication™ (NVC)
- Dr. De Bono’s thinking techniques
- OneSmartWorld™ train the trainer for facilitators
- PATH graphic visioning process
- Mind Mapping™
- Dynamic Facilitation
- Behaviour styles model “Why Are You Like That?™”
- Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI) Thinking Styles and Learning Preferences
- The Learning Organization; Organizational Journey (ICA); facilitation design; conciliation; “shifting from positions to interests”; conflict resolution; negotiation skills; anger management; risk communication; training for trainers; and curriculum development.